Monday, August 27, 2007

The toughest day so far as a parent

Today marked Kailey's first day of school. I can't believe that this day is here. I thought that I would be so excited for her, which I am, but I feel myself more sad than anything else. Our morning started at 6:00 am with the annoying sound of an alarm going off (I have never done well with alarms). Kailey and I get up, get ready for school, eat breakfast, make her lunch, and finally brush her teeth. We had a few minutes to spare before she had to go, so I took a minute to sit on the couch with her. I just held her. I didn't want to let her go. What was even worse, after Chris left with my baby, Alyssa and I walked up stairs, and there at the top of the stairs was Kailey's empty room with her bed made and her stuffed animals that clings onto when she is scared or hurt laying there on her bed. That is when the tears started to flow. At this point you just hope you have given your child enough courage and strength to overcome the trials that come with being in school. I didn't think that it would be this hard and I am sure that I am being over dramatic, but the fact is that I always want to keep my babies safe and free from hurt or harm. I know now that I don't have that luxury as much with Kailey. Now all I have is to help pick her up and comfort her when those times come.

12 comments:

emily said...

you'll get throught this sarah... we all do! she looks so cute for her first day. all grown up with glasses and all! (i can't quite figure out the long sleeve shirt with texas summers?? it made me hot just looking at it!) cute anyway. can't believe she's that old! have fun with all that time alone with sissy! anxious to hear how she loved it!

Chris and Sarah Seymour said...

Yeah the whole sweather thing was her idea. She even wanted to wear jeans but I put a stop to that one real quick. It is only almost 100 here and the girl wants to wear a sweater and jeans to school. She said that her class was cold though, so I guess that it was a good idea to wear a sweater. I did tell her she had to take it off before she went outside.

emily said...

its ok sarah- emma packs a jacket to school everyday! and people are dying here in memphis because of the heat! it is cold in those buildings. i just had to be a bugger and mention it.

emily said...

you know, we should really keep this conversation thing going... it makes it look like your blog is way popular!!! too bad it's just us.

Nicole Howard said...

Kailey looks so cute in these pictures. I love her new bedspread too.

Where The Wilds Things Are said...

Congratulations on having a kid in school. You will really learn to love it. She looks so cute! I love her hair and glasses.

Chrissy said...

She looks so cute and so smart in those glasses! I know that the picture of her room is sad for you to see, but I am shocked to see a perfectly made bed! Wow! It looks like a department store display. Did she do that by herself? I'm impressed! If she can do that, she's ready for kindergarten! Best of luck getting through this!

Chris and Sarah Seymour said...

She did make her bed by herself. Chris taught her how to do it, and you know if someone in the military is teaching you, it better be perfect:)

WendyandRyan said...

Sarah, how adorable! I can't believe she is starting school already! We can't wait to see y'all in 2 weeks! Wish we had more time to spend with you but I'll take what I can get. Oh and do you mind keeping Kailey out of school while we're there....that's not asking too much right?? :)

Chris and Sarah Seymour said...

Oh sure, you only can come visit us for a short time and now you want me to take my kid out of school for you. You are asking for a lot there! Just kidding, I will see what I can do. What time are you going to be here on that Monday?

Marisa said...

Wow, she looks so grown up and adorable and I LOVE the glasses and the bedspread!

WendyandRyan said...

We will actually be there on Tuesday...I'll call you this week to discuss details further. I can't believe we are leaving in a few days. I packed most of our stuff last night...only things that are left I can't pack until Sat. morning. Our flight is at 6:45....what fun....oh well! Can't wait to see you!